"Cucina in Giallo" a Collection of Short Stories: Leo Rota

Cucina in Giallo is a collection of short stories in Italian by various different authors. These short stories are what are known in Italian as “Gialli”, or in English detective stories and they all have the common theme of “Cucina” or cooking. These stories range from a few pages to forty plus pages long, and of course, had varying levels of entertainment. My favorite short story was definitely “Con Cucina” by Alicia Giménez-Bartlett, which tells the story of two sisters, Marta and Berta Miralles and their search for a murderer at their Thai cooking class. The story is on the longer side in the book and is the second story in the collection. The culprit of the crime was at no point really a mystery but the story telling and characters were good, especially for such a short story. 



As someone who loves both short stories and mystery books my expectations were very high for this collection. Sadly, it seems that creating a real sense of mystery is very hard in such short stories and I was left mostly disappointed. One thing that I did notice while reading the various stories is that most often the shorter stories were in reality more mysterious and entertaining. These stories were less full on stories with characters and plot, and more abstract ideas of mystery. Without having to worry about characters and actual plot – which in most cases just seemed too simple and underdeveloped in the longer stories – the shorter stories could focus solely on creating mystery and did not even necessarily need to have a grand reveal at the end. Sadly, even these were not close to the best short stories I have read and this book, while still being interesting and not too boring to read, disappointed me.

Comments

  1. Hi Leo! I've never read this before but it seems really interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you even read the full review lol? (This not one of my actual comments)

      Delete
  2. Hello Leo! As I've said before, it's very impressive that you can fluently read Italian, and it's a great way to get practice in. In my opinion, these stories simplistic but slightly interesting. I'm sorry that you were let down by the book. Unique blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leo, great blog. I also love detective stories and this book seems like a good book to read. Maybe I should start Italian on Duolingo so I can read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that actually sounds really fun to read! Too bad I'm not Italian, I guess. Sorry you didn't like them that much lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Leo. I've read books similar to this but in Japanese (and not only on cooking). Though they are written by completely different authors, I also saw the same theme in my book and I was very surprised when you mentioned it. Though I do not understand Italian at all (or maybe I do), if I ever learn Italian I will make sure to read this book. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leo, this book sounds really interesting! Do you know if there's any english translations of this book? Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly Daniel! Leo always writes about the most interesting Italian books, but if there was an English version for us to read aswell that would be amazing!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts