A Review of "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome: Leo Rota

While I never thought this day would come, I am deeply sorry to announce that this is a negative review of this book. The worst part is that this is not just some random book nobody has heard of, it is a well-known novel that is by some even thought of as a classic. Three Men in a Boat is a comedic novel by Jerome K. Jerome that follows three friends, Jerome, George, and Harris (and heir dog) on their boating adventure along the River Thames. The trip does not go as planned though and the friends face many comedic setbacks and mishaps throughout their journey.

I want to begin this review by alerting the reader that I read the Italian translation of this book, possibly leading to some differences in comedic effect of what I read versus what you may read. This book did not make me laugh, not even once. This does not mean I did not enjoy it, I was just incredibly disappointed with the humor of the story. I do not think of myself as someone with no sense of humor and most times I laugh fairly easily. Sadly, this book was just not for me, the “humorous” scenarios the characters experienced were much less entertaining than the character descriptions at the start of the story, causing me to lose more and more interest as the book went on. I almost feel bad saying this because everyone I have talked to about this book has said it is a classic and they greatly enjoyed reading it. I will also be reading the sequel, Three Men on the Bummel so hopefully something clicks for me and this second book provides me with the amazing comedy I so desperately need.

Comments

  1. Hey Leo! What a refreshing topic! As far as blogs go, I'm mostly hearing, "Wow this book is amazing!" or, "You should definitely read this book." I think people sometimes forget that it's OK to dislike a book and write about it. It's really cool that you read this novel in Italian; it's probably a great way to practice your literary skills in Italian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leo! I'm deeply sorry to hear that this classic has incredibly disappointed you. Hopefully, the book's sequel will be a banger of a comedy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Leo, sad to see you leave the Happy Hippo Readers, but glad to be blessed by one of your blogs again. Unfortunate to see you did not enjoy reading this book, but I agree with Robenas that reading in Italian is a great way to keep your vocabulary and comprehension at a fluent level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Leo, you complain too much! This book was a staple in my childhood and is one of my favorite books ever. When I read it in ENGLISH I loved this book... to each their own I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts